Lightspeed is seeking a bilingual lawyer to manage its North American commercial legal team. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, possesses strong organizational skills and attention to detail, has 8+ years of commercial legal experience, preferably gained in a combination of private practice and in-house environments, and can demonstrate a record of success in rapidly-scaling, disruptive environments. This is your chance to advance your career in-house with a fast-growing tech company where your work will have direct and visible impact on the results.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Owning the commercial contracting process, including contracting with customers, partners (channel, integration and installation, among others), and vendors (including outsourcing contracts)
- Overseeing the North American commercial legal team and playing an important role on the leadership team of a growing legal department
- Implementing scalable systems and processes to enhance the scalability and efficiency of the Company’s commercial legal function
- Providing support on complex, cross-functional projects and engaging in ad hoc analysis for a variety of stakeholder groups
- Serving as a trusted advisor to stakeholders including the Finance, Sales, Marketing, Product Development, Technology, and Information Security and Information Technology teams
- Developing, drafting, revising, administering, implementing and interpreting compliance policies, procedures and programs
- Using judgement, making recommendations, and solving legal and business problems, sometimes within tight deadlines
- Liaising with regulatory bodies and government authorities as required.
- Engaging and empowering colleagues and stakeholder groups through training and thought leadership
- Assisting in managing outside counsel engagements
- Working on ad hoc projects as assigned
- Assisting with special requests from the executive team
What you’ll be bringing to the team
- 8+ years of experience in a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, preferably with a software-as-a-service business
- Strong leadership skills and experience scaling growing legal teams
- Creative problem solving and an innovative approach to in-house law department management
- Broad commercial and corporate transactional experience gained in a fast-paced, preferably international, environment
- Professional-level proficiency in English, including legal writing
- Experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating channel and integration partnership agreements, referral agreements, outsourcing contracts and software license agreements
- Knowledge of and experience with GDPR, CCPA and other cybersecurity matters, PCI compliance, and the payment card industry;
- Comfortable communicating with colleagues and stakeholders on different levels and with different professional backgrounds
Who you are
- You are a strong leader and mentor
- You are an analytical thinker and a innovative and pragmatic problem solver
- You are detail-oriented, autonomous, and able to take initiative
- You can handle a high volume of assignments
- You are motivated by new experiences and delivering a high level of service to your stakeholders
- You demonstrate a high standard of professional ethics and integrity
- You have strong interpersonal skills and you can bridge cultural differences
- You want to exchange ideas effectively and be a good teammate - we work as a team!
- You are curious and willing to improve
- You are eager to tackle all problems
Even better if you have, but not necessary
- Experience working in an international environment, across different jurisdictions and languages;
- Experience working with cloud-based software and payments providers;
- Language in addition to English (especially French, Dutch or German);
- Knowledge of and experience with IP, Fiscal (e.g., MEV), and Corporate law.
What’s in it for you
- Play a critical role on the legal leadership team of one Canada’s most exciting companies
- Scale a commercial legal function an an environment that encourages innovation
- Amazing benefits and perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders and a dynamic environment
- Learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family.
- Supportive colleagues, strong culture of collaboration cross-functionally, cool tech law problems to solve on a daily basis.
Who we are
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers small and medium-sized businesses with its cloud-based, omni-channel commerce platforms in over 100 countries around the world. With smart, scalable, and dependable point of sale systems, Lightspeed provides all-in-one solutions that help restaurants and retailers sell across channels, manage operations, engage with consumers, accept payments, and grow their business.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, USA, Europe, and Australia.
We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do!